Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Why use filtered water?

My Powerbook drank about a cup of water yesterday morning and I am now blogging from it. I consider this a victory against the universe.

Other than blow-drying it for three and a half hours (!) yesterday afternoon, I haven’t made any repairs. Before the blow drying, it didn't start up at all, and first thing this morning it froze immediately after booting. But like a trusty old lawnmower, it started on the second try. It seems to be okay: my data is all there, the display is fine, it prints via USB, it does wireless networking, it writes CDs, it plays music, it charges the battery. The one thing I haven’t tried yet is to turn it off and back on again. I’m apprehensive about that.

The repair shop was not optimsitic about the combination of water and laptop. They said they have replaced logic boards ($800) on water-damaged machines, only to have other components fail soon after. They claim that water leaves a visible stain on the logic boards, although I haven’t looked for myself. (Perhaps my $8 investment in a Brita water filter has now paid off?)

I will do a daily remote backup of this machine for the rest of its life, whether that is days or (hopefully) years. It is my primary computer and I need my data. Previously, I backed up only monthly.

I'm fairly pleased with my reaction to the incident. I’ve sometimes gotten very angry about careless technological errors. There was the month I left my ATM card in the machine three times in a row. Soon after getting this computer I dropped it on the floor, giving it a “split lip” that I now pretend is adorable. I vented both those times.

Now, I’m actively trying to be calmer about my life. The universe is large and I am small. I have many reasons to feel frustrated, but more reasons to feel fortunate. So I didn’t get angry this time. It helps that the laptop is working again. It will help even more if it is working next week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Frolic said...

I once dropped my cell phone in a cup of coffee. It didn't fare as well as your laptop.

12/14/2005 10:38 AM  
Blogger John said...

Yikes! I’ve never done that ...

There was the time that an airport X-ray machine wiped all the stored numbers out of my cell phone. Of course I hadn’t recorded most of the numbers anywhere else.

12/14/2005 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home